The election’s over, we’ve rid ourselves of the endless (2 year) electoral debacle between Trump and Clinton. However, our fight for liberty has only begun. Libertarians: it’s time to get up, it’s time to get to work, it’s time to make this movement truly great.
No matter what libertarian you were, the voting or non-voting, the Gary Johnson or the NeverJohnson libertarian, you cannot really escape the presidential election. Activism is being drowned during the political campaigns, so there is a great requirement to surf the wave. On this occasion, let’s thank all the volunteers for the Gary Johnson campaign and himself, for advancing the ideas of liberty. The people who did not support a candidate or weren’t out to campaign, yet also used the election to spread libertarian ideas, are equally important and deserved to be thanked.
Now is definitely not the time to get weary. In contrary, now the activism for the cause of liberty is most important, to get those on board who have become familiar of what being a libertarian implies. Do not let them fall back into indifference, especially since we are not losing: more and more people are becoming aware of the failure of the War on Drugs, oppose military interventionism, reject the extension of powers of the executive branch, are sceptical of deficit spending and recognise the advantages of limited government.
There is a lot you can do.
- Familarise young people with movements such as Young Americans for Liberty and Students for Liberty, which help them acquire leadership skills and the talents needed to convince people, and which provide the necessary education to make them win every argument
- Inform yourselfs online, through the many libertarian think tanks and institutes
- Never be afraid to read books that oppose your viewpoints: understanding what drives the motivation of socialism is the easiest if you read Karl Marx yourself
- Make liberty lively in your surroundings, not by being bitter and cynical, but by giving the concept of a free society the most positive light imaginable
- Incentivise people to avoid government all together by trading out or using shared economy services such as Airbnb
Most of all, don’t give up on your own beliefs. Make no mistake, I also get upset and believe that it’s better to throw a libertarian tantrum on social media once in a while. But that is not satisfying. To achieve real advances for the liberty movement, we need to become its lawyers, spokespeople, admirers.
This was just an election. There will be more. What’s important in the liberty movement is what happens every day, not every 4 years.
The election is over. Now we really fight for liberty.
Pictures are Creative Commons.
Thanks for liking and sharing!